We offer a range of support services designed to meet your career needs and aspirations, at any point in your working lives.
- Employment grants are available to help you obtain qualifications essential to securing suitable employment if you are from a low income household.
- LifeWorks is a five-day residential course that provides you with the tools you need to help you get the job you want.
- Our Employ-Able service provides support if confidence, motivation or mental health is impacting on your ability to get, or keep, a job.
- We also partner with a number of other organisations offering employment services.
Securing sustainable employment without a vocational qualification or professional license can be really difficult. Our Employment Grant is designed to assist you in gaining the skills and qualifications essential to competing in the current job market.
The grant is available to Reservists, Service Leavers, Veterans and Spouses, specifically those who are unemployed or have a low household income. The grant can be used to fund short vocational courses and associated costs such as travel and accommodation; equipment linked to an offer of employment may also be considered.
HOW TO APPLY
We recommend that you engage with Regular Forces Employment Association (RFEA), who will help you consider how your existing experience, skills and qualifications match local employment opportunities. An Employment Advisor will support you to determine if the Employment Grant is the best option to help you access the job market in your area and, if required, support you to make an application.
The grant is means tested and evidence of a sustainable employment outcome will be required. This evidence can be:
- Written evidence that the grant will get you into sustainable employment.
- Written evidence that you require a piece of equipment or a specific licence to remain employed; and that you are contractually required to supply your own licence or equipment.
- A written recommendation from an employment advisor outlining the training need and showing that the grant requested forms part of an achievable plan to gain employment in a new sector, will also strengthen an application.
To request more information or an application form please call 0131 550 1557 or email GetHelp@poppyscotland.org.uk
If you are unemployed or considering a career change LifeWorks could be for you. It is a fully-funded residential 5-day course which offers:
- Help identifying a career that suits you
- Guidance with searching and applying for jobs
- Support with CV writing
- Assistance with interview skills
LifeWorks courses also run each month in venues across the UK. For further information call 0131 550 1568 or email firstname.lastname@example.org
Covid-19 update: Please note we are still accepting referrals for this service as support from the LifeWorks team is available remotely.
Our Employ-Able service provides support if confidence, motivation or mental health is impacting on your ability to secure or maintain employment.
The service is delivered by specialist SAMH employment advisors, who will help you to:
- Decide which career or vocational opportunities you want to pursue;
- Prepare a plan to help investigate and achieve your goals;
- Access support and activities to help address barriers to sustainable employment;
- Create a professional and adaptable CV;
- Build job search and interview skills;
- Find the job, volunteer placement or learning opportunity that is right for you.
To find out more about Employ-Able. call 0131 550 1568 or email email@example.com
Alternatively, you can download the Employ-Able referral form here and send it to Danielle for processing at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Sacro: If you have a criminal conviction, knowing how, when and what to disclose to a potential employer can make a huge difference. Sacro has both a Veterans’ Mentoring Service and a Criminal Conviction Disclosure Service, providing support for veterans in the criminal justice system. You can visit their website, call them to find out more on 0131 624 7270 or email email@example.com
X-Forces: A social enterprise that offers specialist enterprise training, advice, mentoring and business start-up services for the Armed Forces community nationwide. Visit their website to find out more.
Community Jobs Scotland: Provides paid work placements for up to one year. If you would be interested in working in the voluntary sector, served for less that six years, and are between 16 and 29 years old, a work opportunity could be waiting for you. Details of the jobs available in your area can be found on the CJS section of the SCVO website
“My time at Poppyscotland opened a lot of doors for me. I probably wouldn’t be where I am now had it not been for the support and I think my life would have still been a struggle otherwise. Poppyscotland gave me an opportunity and I took it with both hands.
-- Richard Sommerville