Poppyscotland provides life-changing support to the Armed Forces community
The money we raise from the Scottish Poppy Appeal and our year-round fundraising enables us to deliver support to members of the Armed Forces community across Scotland. Progress has been made, but from our experience of working with and on behalf of this community, there is still more to do.
Local councils play a huge role in helping serving personnel, veterans and their families. The public services provided by councils, such as housing, education, transport, social care and benefits, amongst more, are relied upon. However, some members of our Armed Forces community are still suffering disadvantage in accessing these local services and the support they receive can be a postcode lottery. When this disadvantage occurs, it is often because there is little understanding of the unique nature of their military service.
With voters going to the polls in all 32 Scottish local authorities on 5th May 2022 to elect their local councillors, we have published a five point #PoppyPromise that we are urging ALL candidates in the upcoming election to sign. Find out who has made the #PoppyPromise by clicking the link below.
If I am elected I take the #PoppyPromise to:
- Promote the Armed Forces Act 2021 to ensure that my local authority pays due regard to the Armed Forces Covenant.
- Listen to the voices of the Armed Forces community in the delivery of local services.
- Encourage charities and businesses in the ward I represent to sign the Armed Forces Covenant.
- Do my bit to support Poppyscotland’s work to help all those who are serving, have served in the Armed Forces and their families.
- Submit a Council motion recommitting the Council to supporting the Armed Forces Community.
Now is the opportunity for candidates seeking your vote to demonstrate to the Armed Forces community that they recognise their service and sacrifice and will act decisively to support them to lead healthy, successful and fulfilling lives if elected.
If you are a candidate in the election please do let us know that you will stand behind our Armed Forces community by taking the #PoppyPromise below. A list of signatories will be published on our website. Please show your support on social media pledging your support using the hashtag #PoppyPromise.